close

Menu

Portals

School History

Kingham Hill was purpose built by the Christian philanthropist Charles Edward Baring Young in 1886.

He put his faith into practice by establishing it as a place where boys with a boarding need could be educated and prepared for life.

Pupils learning stone masonry at the School in 1908

In the early days the school was a virtually self-sufficient community. It had a farm, a wide range of workshops, a school building, a chapel, a sanatorium and various boarding houses. The Founder ensured that every Kingham child learned to read and write, gained a trade and had the benefit of understanding the Christian faith.

Kingham Hill staff and pupils in 1894

Kingham Hill staff and their families outside Top School in 1894.

On leaving, the boys could progress to opportunities and new homes in London, or emigrate to a farm the Founder owned in Canada and make their life in the New World.

The Founder (centre) outside the present day Admin building in 1904.

The Founder (centre) outside the present day Admin building in 1904.
The chapel can be seen behind, with Severn and Greenwich yet to be built.

Outside Top School 1934

Outside Top School, 1934

Pupils at the School in 1947

Pupils at the School in 1947 

Boys at the School in 1977

Boys at the School in 1977

The Kingham Hill Trust, established by the Founder, administers the school and its sister foundation, Oak Hill Theological College in London.

Today, we are a co-educational school for girls and boys aged 11-18.

Sixth Form girls during Speech Day 2021

Sixth Form girls during Speech Day 2021

We continue the Founder's vision by providing an excellent all-round education, coupled with varied extra-curricular activities and experiences that thoroughly prepare our children to leave us as happy, rounded and resilient young people ready to succeed in their future lives.