BTEC and CTech
What are BTECs and CTechs?
Kingham Hill offers pupils the chance to study two BTECs and two CTechs:
- Animal Management BTEC Level 2 (part of the GCSE Curriculum)
- Animal Management BTEC Level 3 (part of the Sixth Form Curriculum)
- Computer Science BTEC Level 3
- Engineering BTEC Level 3
- Music Technology BTEC Level 3
- Performing Arts BTEC Level 3
- Business CTech
- Sport CTech
BTECs (Business and Technology Education Council) and CTechs (Cambridge Technical) are vocational qualifications. The reason for some subjects being called BTECs and others CTechs is simply the different exam boards; BTECs are run by Pearson, Cambridge Technicals by OCR.
These vocational qualifications are assessed differently to A levels with a particular focus on regular assessment (coursework) rather than examination. They are respected by Russell Group universities and are seen to demonstrate a range of skills.
They carry UCAS points with them in the same way as A levels.
Our four vocational qualifications: Animal Management, Business, Performing Arts and Sport have been chosen by us because universities and employers alike respect the skills and experience gained through them, and - we believe - set pupils up excellently for the world beyond KHS.
- A Distinction* (the highest grade that can be achieved with these qualifications) gives pupils 56 UCAS points and is the equivalent to an A* at A level
- A Distinction gives pupils 48 UCAS points (as would an A at A level)
- A Merit gives pupils 32 UCAS points (as would a C)
- A Pass gives pupils 16 UCAS points (as would an E).