BTEC Computer Science
Exam Board: BTEC - Pearson Edexcel
This qualification will support professional careers in roles such as business information management, technical service support, marketing support and business systems security.
How does the qualification provide employability skills?
In the BTEC National units there are opportunities during the teaching and learning phase to give learners practice in developing employability skills. Where employability skills are referred to in this specification, we are generally referring to skills in the following three main categories:
- Cognitive and problem-solving skills: use critical thinking, approach non-routine problems applying expert and creative solutions, use systems and technology
- Intrapersonal skills: communicating, working collaboratively, negotiating and influencing, self-presentation
- Interpersonal skills: self-management, adaptability and resilience, self-monitoring and development
There are also specific requirements in some units for assessment of these skills where relevant. For example, where learners are required to undertake real or simulated activities.
Course units include:
- Fundamentals of computer systems
- Principles of computer science
- Systems methodology
- Systems analysis
- Software design and development project
- The impact of computing
- IT systems security & encryption
- Business applications of social media
- Project management
- Mobile apps development
- Object oriented programming.
The course covers a wide range of practical skills, that are needed for application development, with a focus on programming and software design.