In Memoriam

We are sorry to learn of the following Hillian's who have passed away.

Former Staff

Margaret Woolliams (passed away 6 January, 2018) - Memorial Service June 16. Details:

Margaret Woolliams, wife of James Woolliams, sadly died after a long illness on January 6, 2018.

Margaret joined husband Jim on the Hill after their marriage in 1966. As houseparents first in Norwich in 1968 and then later in Plymouth, they enjoyed close to two decades at Kingham. Margaret is survived by son Richard who was born in 1968.

Mrs. Woolliams died at the age of 87.

There will be a service to celebrate Margaret's Life in Wye Church (near Ashford, in Kent) on Saturday 16th June, 2018 at 2:30. Followed by refreshments. All are welcome.

Basil Benson (passed away 14 March, 2013)

Basil Benson started at Kingham Hill as a PE teacher and worked at the school for more than three decades. Born on May 8, 1932 in Lancashire, he was educated at Leigh and York St John University and played rugby professionally for Leigh Rugby League Club and York.

He went to teacher training college at Leeds and joined Kingham Hill after graduating in 1954.

He maintained his passion for rugby, playing for Stow-on-the-Wold Rugby Club in Gloucestershire and then coaching.

Mr. Benson died at the age of 80.

Julie Stodert-Cooke (passed away 27 May, 2012)

Julie was a well loved business teacher and senior house parent in the girls house Severn at KHS. She sadly died in a car accident on May 27, 2012.

Ms. Stodert-Cook died at age 43.

John Guthrie Essame (passed away 6 May, 2008)

Mr. Essame, dear husband of Flora sadly passed away on May 6th, 2008 after a short illness.

Former Pupils

John Hayter - at KHS from 1930-1939 (passed away on 8 August, 2017)

Written by John's wife, Josephine:

I'm writing to tell you of the death of my husband who was a pupil at The Hill from 1930 to 1939.

Please be so kind as to pass on the following to the editor of the alumnus newsletter.

I regret to inform you that my husband John Hayter died on 8th August after a long illness. He was 94 years of age.

John started at Kingham Hill in 1930, stayed at most of the houses and enjoyed his schooldays - especially the sport.

He won cups for running, and carved out a spot for himself on the left wing, playing for the First XI. He was also an enthusiastic cricketer, and his last outing was the annual pilgrimage to see the Old Boys versus the School cricket match a month before his death. He used to say that the view over the pitch to Chippy was etched in his mind's eye.

When John left School in 1939 he had an apprenticeship in place but it was cancelled because of WW2. He stayed for a while at Latimer House (the School's halfway house) and helped as a runner during air raids before joining the RAF in 1941.

He spoke of the School constantly, and later in life wrote several articles for the alumnus magazine and served on the alumnus committee.

The School was never far from his thoughts, and on his annual trips to the Hill, he would always try to stop in at the chapel; it was his favourite house of worship.

Please remember him in your prayers.