Further Mathematics A level
What will I study in Further Mathematics A level?
There are very few A levels which are as rigorous at highlighting the academic ability of a pupil. If you wish to study any course involving a high level of Maths then this course must be a serious consideration but it is demanding.
Those wishing to studying Further Mathematics need to have received a grade 8 in GCSE Mathematics.
Units of study
- Unit 1: Pure Mathematics covering a range of mathematical skills which extend and challenge students beyond the normal A level Mathematics course, introducing mathematical concepts such as proofs, complex numbers, matrices and hyperbolic functions.
- Unit 2: Decision Mathematics introduces concepts of algorithms, critical path analysis and linear programming.
- Unit 3: Further Pure Mathematics considers advanced trigonometry, calculus, numerical methods and coordinate systems.
- Paper: Core Pure 1 – 1 hour 30 minutes
- Paper:Core Pure 2 – 1 hour 30 minutes
- Paper: Further Pure 1 – 1 hour 30 minutes
- Paper: Decision Mathematics 1 – 1 hour 30 minutes
Each paper contributes equally to the overall grade
Where could it lead?
Any career based around the STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) subjects will benefit from a Further Mathematics A level. Universities give credit to those with a Further Mathematics background.